Breaking News
Loading...
Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Wednesday, October 3, 2012
When we launched Huff/Post50 one year ago, we implied that our generation was not ready to "go gently into that good night." In a year that brought the death of a dear friend, Nora Ephron, at seventy-one years old, I am inspired by a toast that Nora gave on the occasion of my fiftieth birthday. She stood up, champagne glass in her hand, and said, "I am here to tell you good things can happen after turning fifty. I didn't direct my first movie until I was fifty."

It got me thinking: If Nora could accomplish what she did in twenty-one years, why is it that we are somehow led to believe that age defines what we can and cannot do? If anything, turning fifty seems like license to liberate yourself from any definition at all.
The Show I'd Like To See Carol Burnett and Tim Conway Host
WATCH: Liam Neeson Gets Nearly Naked For 'Ellen'
Bruce Willis' Wild Year
This Nutritional Supplement Could Slow The Aging Process
Benefits Seen In Hormone Use Early In Menopause
BLOG POSTS
Ann Brenoff: 9 Reasons Why Arnold Is An Icky-Doo
Arnold-the-womanizer had no problem fessing up to his multiple affairs. On more than one occasion, he reminded interviewer Stahl that anything not in the book was off-limits for the interview -- making us think that his "unbelievably true" life story might have a sequel: "Who I Screwed Post-65?"
Lisa Jey Davis: My Sister's Death May Have Saved My Life
If you have relatives who've suffered from breast or ovarian cancer (even pancreatic or prostate cancers), then ask about genetic testing and don't allow the fear of the unknown to jeopardize your health. I'm here to cheer you on. We are all here to cheer you on.
Leda Natkin Nelis: The Best 50th Birthday Gift I Could Ask For
These labels -- Asperger's, ADD, Dyslexic, Dyspraxic -- do not define or restrict our children, but they can help others to understand our childrens' unique challenges as well as their special gifts. This heightened understanding can bring our children support, respect and empathy.
Deborah Gaines: I Am Woman, Hear Me Whimper
For the first time since my kids were little, someone is interested in knowing what they can do for me. The sexiest four words in the English language may well be "How can I help?"
Felice Shapiro: Do Healthy Choices Matter?
When a dear friend gets diagnosed with cancer it is totally devastating. Unconsciously, my next thought leaps to her lifestyle choices and what could have been done to prevent this. This is not about judgment, but about self-protection --- trying to exert control over the uncontrollable.

If you believe this has been sent to you in error, please safely unsubscribe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment